Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Clarification

Just wanted to clarify why I chose the current quote of the week. I chose it because it's not the truth.
The way that Victor Hugo is using it is to say that people who pray are proving that they believe that there is a God, which Hugo says is ignorance. No matter how majestic or august the prayer, it is still ignorance in Hugo's eyes.
The truth is, prayer is an humble avowal of insufficiency; our insufficiency to take care of ourselves all on our own. It is also at the same time an avowal of God's sufficiency and his omniscience.

I will continue once in a while to chose quotes that aren't true so that I can critique them. If I forget again to write something on one of them, just email me and remind me.

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment